All work undertaken by TP Knotweed includes a 10-Year Insurance Backed Guarantee in line with industry standards (with the exception of Horsetail). This provides our clients with the confidence that works have been carried out by an accredited specialist Japanese Knotweed contractor and should any invasive plant re-growth occur following remediation, it is covered by our robust guarantee.
When is the Knotweed guarantee issued?
For excavation contracts, the 10-Year Insurance Backed Guarantee is issued as soon as the initial excavation works have been completed on site. We then conduct bi-annual monitoring visits at the site for 2 years (2 growing seasons), under the guarantee to ensure that there has been no invasive plant re-growth.
For 5-year herbicide treatment programmes, the 10-Year Insurance Backed Guarantee is registered from day one, however does not become active until the end of the treatment programme. This is standard practice within the industry and the majority of mortgage lenders simply like to see that the insurance policy is in place and registered with the insurer.
Why do I need a guarantee?
If you are looking to buy or sell property and land affected by Japanese Knotweed, it is a mandatory requirement by all mortgage providers that a 10-year insurance backed guarantee is in place. The guarantee is also in place to give you peace of mind that should any re-growth occur during the guarantee period, it will be treated free of charge. It also provides cover in the highly unlikely event that TP Knotweed Solutions ceased to trade.
What is covered by the Insurance Backed Guarantee?
The 10-year insurance backed guarantee covers any re-growth at the subject property or site, within the guarantee period. Should you notice any re-growth, simply contact TP Knotweed and we will re-attend to treat any plants using herbicides, at no additional cost. This insurance also allows for another accredited contractor to carry out these works, should TP Knotweed cease to trade.
What isn’t covered?
Our guarantee does not cover damage to buildings, properties, hard surfaces, drainage, loss of value or other personal property including but not limited to: non-target plants within a garden/ site, other structures or buildings within the subject property grounds, or any of the above within neighbouring properties. It does not cover spread to or from a neighbouring garden, if it has not been included within our remedia on programme. Full terms and conditions can be provided upon request.
How much will it cost?
For a standard 10-year insurance backed guarantee, the cost is £100.00 per affected property, for contracts up to £5000.00. For excavation works and contracts in excess of £5000.00, the 10-Year Insurance Backed Guarantee fee will be charged, based on a percentage of the contract value.
What happens to my guarantee if I move house or sell my development site?
The guarantees are assigned to the site or property and not to the owner, which enables them to be fully transferable. We simply ask that any new owners details are provided, so that our system and the IBG documents can be updated.
Japanese Knotweed Indemnity Insurance Policy
Our Japanese Knotweed Indemnity Policy is available when:
- you pay for our standard Homeowners Invasive Plant Survey at £300.00 + VAT
- where there is no Japanese Knotweed is identified upon our survey
- The question on the seller’s TA6 property information form, asking if the property is affected by Japanese Knotweed, has been answered ‘no’
- No previous remediation measures or treatment are known to have been undertaken within the curtilage of the property
- A mortgage valuation survey, home buyer’s report or building survey has been carried out against the property for the proposed Insured.
- The survey obtained for the proposed Insured makes no reference to any potential problems relating to Japanese Knotweed at the property or surrounding area
What is included in an Indemnity Policy?
For a one off premium this Japanese Knotweed Insurance Policy gives a full 10-year period of cover for:
- the cost of obtaining a full survey report from a Japanese Knotweed treatment specialist to establish a claim, with the prior written consent of the Underwriters
- treatment costs incurred by the Insured in respect of necessary treatment to eradicate the existence of and prevent reoccurrence of Japanese Knotweed at the Property
- repair and restoration costs in respect of damage caused to the Property. This includes excavation.
- legal defence expenses, including legal and expert costs, charges and expenses incurred in the investigation, settlement, adjustment or defence of any claim made against the Insured by a third party affected by the spread of Japanese Knotweed discovered at the Property
- any other costs and expenses directly incurred by the Insured with the written consent of the Insurers
How much does an Indemnity Policy cost?
The cost depends on the property value and level of cover which is typically £100,000k limit on a standard policy. This can be increased.
Price starts at approximately £150.00 for 10-Year cover plus our survey report cost of £300.00 + VAT.
Need Japanese Knotweed removal backed by our guarantee?
Request a site survey and we will identify whether or not your site is infected by Japanese Knotweed, and the most suitable treatment plan.